Fractal

Mon Jun 8 17:28:31 PDT 2009

Fractal wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:
>> Because those are the three string encodings D supports, and only
>> supporting one is a dumb idea.
>
> Why? wchar is full compatible with all languages (if it is not please tell me)... also when I have many strings in different types, I need to convert it from one type to other in each part of the program. Why three when one is suffice?

IIRC, Chinese characters can't be represented by a single wchar. However, that's
not a problem since all three string types support full Unicode.

>> are all Unicode, just different encodings.  However, even if you can
>> throw an exception in Spanish, it might not print out correctly on
>> Windows unless you have your console configured correctly.
>
> Oh... I will take a look for that (console configuration)... but the char type dont supports some languages, because it only supports latin... Im wrong? The Exception on the two APIs uses char[]. I want Inernationalized programs.

char[] supports any language that wchar[] and dchar[] support. It's just that
with char and wchar you need more than one of them for some characters.

You may want to read http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DanielKeep/TextInD and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode (or one of its many translations if your
English is not so good).