D Wiki

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 11:33:50 PDT 2009

Derek Parnell wrote:

> A wiki engine is a text to HTML translator. I've written one, based on the
> Creole markup syntax, so I sort know what's involved.
>
> There are situations in which writing raw HTML is not the better option,
> such as embedded documentation within source code. Ddoc is a kind-of wiki
> engine in this regard. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with using a
> simplified markup syntax via text UI, because it can be better, or the
> only, solution in some common cases.
>
> In order to write a wiki page I do not need any sophisticated software to
> help me ... I can just do it with the simplest of text editors.
>
> By the way, if one can't remember that '=' is a 1st level heading, and "=="
> is a 2nd level heading and "===" is a 3rd level heading, etc ... then I'm
> don't know how one can remember all the equivalent HTML tags.

it's simple, HTML clearly denotes what's the markup and what's the
content and provides clear structure for the document. Wiki formats are
fuzzy to me. there's no clear distinction between markup and content.

> I really would not like depending solely on a GUI application to write
> source code that has embedded documentation.

that's a completely different use case. we were discussing writing
content for the web, not writing D programs.

> There is a valid place for both models of creating a HTML page.

of course I'd want to be able to paste D snippets and have the system
highlight it and parse the inline documentation. however, when people
write non-code content they shouldn't be forced to write it in DDOC,
should they?