D Wiki

Alexander Pánek alexander.panek at brainsware.org
Wed Jun 17 04:30:38 PDT 2009

Brad Roberts wrote:
> This has come up before and never really gone anywhere.  I've considered setting
> up a new, modern, wiki for us to migrate to.  Prowiki has a number of
> limitations that annoy me at least.  The biggest is it's history management
> sucks.  Looking at what changed over time is either too hard for the likes of me
> to figure out, or it's broken, or it just isn't available.
>
> That said, I've only ever run one wiki package, mediawiki, and it was a pain in
> the rear.  The debian packaging of it sucks.  I dunno if it's any easier to
> manage just off the official releases.
>
> Anyone have a wiki package they've actually run (not just used via the web
> interface) that they can recommend?  An obvious one is likely to be Trac via
> dsource.  I've considered it, but personally I'm really not fond of trac (sorry).
>
> Would any of you guys volunteer to help migrate content to it if one should
> spring up?  I'd be willing to be one of those volunteers, but there's a lot of
> content and it really shouldn't be moved over exactly as is.  A lot of
> re-organization should be done.
>
> My thoughts were to put it at d.puremagic.com to subsume the entire site, with
> the exception of /issues which would continue to be the bugzilla installation.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Later,
> Brad

At my company, we have been using Redmine for a year now. Redmine is
comparable to Trac, but with a lot less effort to maintain, since almost
everything is configurable through the web interface *out of the box*.
It’s basically a project management application, but the wiki is a
crutial part of it, using textile as markup language.

And before anyone comes up with another bikeshed-argument: textile is in
use by all employees of this company, *especially* non-IT people. We
also use it in our home-grown blog software, and not even users
submitting blog posts ever had a problem with using it. Most people even
really like it because it’s so simple and intuitive! :)

I would help setting up a Redmine installation and content migration,
too, of course. It’s using Ruby on Rails, btw., and can be either
deployed with a mongrel cluster or via mod_passenger (though I don’t
have any experience with the latter).

ad Helmut:
I think Brad knows quite well how to keep a server running and maintain
a community website. :)