D2 vs D1

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Jun 18 01:14:06 PDT 2009

steel:
> Or, at least tell me if
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/features2.html is up to date.

I think it's mostly up to date, but this means little because new features are being added to D2 at every release. For example, the next release of D2 smells like an interesting one :-)

> I guess what I'm looking for is an honest assessment of the "state of
> the community" and information on a good tool stack to evaluate D for
> professional use in a x86_64 environment (IDE, build tools, etc).

I think someone has asked a similar question not too much time ago here, so you may go look there.
D2 is alpha state still, so it's probably not a good idea for professional coding.
I leave the answer regarding the state of IDEs & build tools to other people that know this more than me.

> Also, what is the latest with regards to x86_64 bit support?  Other than LDC
> and GDC (which I suppose has fallen behind and is unsupported), are
> there any plans to support x86_64 with the dmd compiler and the D2
> release in the coming months (early next year)?

LDC 64 bit (with Tango) is now working well enough, about as well as LDC 32.
I don't think DMD will go 64 bit soon.
I think in some months LDC will be better than DMD for most purposes if you run D1 code (at the moment some things are missing still, like a better support for profiling, code coverage, exceptions on Windows, and maybe few other bits). LDC for D2 needs some more time.

> Final question: what is the role of Tango in D2?  I read something
> somewhere that lead me to believe Phobos and Tango have some kind of
> relationship in D2.

A core of Tango is shared with Phobos (even if there's a bit of clashing in naming modules that I hope to see improved), so in theory you will be able to use both at the same time in D2.
Tango probably will be usable in D2 as soon as (or before) D2 comes out of alpha state.

Bye,
bearophile