Ranges

Tim Matthews tim.matthews7 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 03:05:00 PDT 2009

dsimcha wrote:

> I suspect that your lack of understanding of ranges stems from lack of
> understanding of templates, since you mention that "noone understands templates"
> and once you get templates, ranges are ridiculously simple.  If that's the case,
> then your best bet is probably to learn a little more about templates (which are
> so fundamental to what makes D special IMHO that I would say that, for all
> practical purposes, if you don't understand templates you don't understand D) and
> then try to understand ranges again.

I think steve understands templates and he was actually re-quoting the
quotes from the digitalmars d docs:

http://digitalmars.com/d/2.0/template.html

I think that I can safely say that nobody understands template
mechanics. -- Richard Deyman

http://digitalmars.com/d/2.0/templates-revisited.html

"What I am going to tell you about is what we teach our programming
students in the third or fourth year of graduate school... It is my task
to convince you not to turn away because you don't understand it. You
see my programming students don't understand it... That is because I
don't understand it. Nobody does."
-- Richard Deeman

Also I hope this quote summarizes some of the viewpoints of ranges
implemented through templates:

"If a nuke had a single big red button as a detonator, then you have a
lot of power and that is very easy to use. Doesn't necessarily make it
the right weapon for the job though."