The proper case for D.

Bruno Deligny bruno.deligny at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 07:25:37 PDT 2009

Steve Teale a écrit :
> Can this group come up with a proper, sober (OK, I'm not), case for D.
>
> This would clearly have to steer clear of the standard libraries, I can't see how any outside observer is going to be impressed by the fact that we have two.
>
> And D is a computer programming language. So we should deal with it as that first.
>
> Andrei's article had a lot of good points primarily revolving around the need to concentrate on concurrency, but I suspect that we should probably stress the basics.
>
> When Bjarne Stroustrup was originally promoting C++, he made a strong point that you could at least consider it to be a 'better C'. This point, it seemed to me, was lost on many. Now we are looking for radical arguments as to why D is a cool language. Maybe we should remember the basics, and concentrate less on the vapor.
>
> Bearophile made a counter-argument. But this also did not stress our basic weaknesses. Most of us are using DMD, which on Windows uses a 20 year old linker, and utilizes an antique object file format. Under Linux, it can't produce the position-independent code that's required to create reliable shared libraries.
>
> Unless you use alpha-level code, you can't load arbitrary D modules at run-time.
>
> There isn't a decent debugger for either Windows or Linux. There may never be one if the potential authors see the constant focus on meta-programming - that must make life hell for them.
>
> I'm not advocating a return to D1, but I do want to see closure on D2, and an ascent from the constant alpha state. Then after that, I'd like to see a more formal system of RFCs for library proposals, and a recognized pattern for voting on them so that anyone who kept up-to-date with the process would not be surprised by what suddenly appeared in Phobos, or perhaps it should be the D Standard Library (DSL).
>
> When all that had happened I could forget computer programming and get on with my woodwork relatively secure in the knowledge that I had chosen to support a winner, and the Walter's efforts were not in vain.

I totally agree!
Everybody i know that tried D have the same problems, so they all stick
with C++.

The D language is amazing but the tools are awful. There is tools but
nothing works together out of the box! The user experience of D is very bad!

The D needs a global strategy like C# did (language, compiler, library
formats, IDE, debugger...) and all that with one click installers for
all platforms. We don't need to reinvent the wheel, just create a
synergy between projects!

Walter, if you don't want to be the production manager that will put all
theses pieces together, you should stick to the language development and
hire somebody to handle the development environment!