Coming Attractions

Paul D. Anderson paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net
Wed Jun 24 13:42:41 PDT 2009

A. What I'm looking forward to in the near future:

1) D2 will be frozen.
2) Andre's book will come out.

B. What I'm hopeful for, and really expect to see fairly soon thereafter:

3) A complete, consistent D language specification (for D1 and D2).
4) D2 support for many of the popular tools and libraries out there, especially Tango and descent.
5) Continued development of D compilers alongside DMD: LLDC, GDC, dil, etc.
6) Expansion of Phobos with more contributions from others besides Walter and Andre.
7) Improvements in the D toolchain, as have been discussed here at some length:

Quoting Frank Rundell:
"If it wants to compete with the 'big boys' it needs an IDE, a GUI library that can compile and work, a debugger that understands D, a proper linker, packaged releases for linux, an installer for Windows, etc."

C. What I'd like to see in the longer run:

8) A solid suite of D tools, written in D.

D. The good news is that none of these except 1) and 2) depend on Walter or Andre. All they need is a some committed effort from a group of intelligent, knowledgeable, capable, interested supporters. Hmmm......

E. I was going to add some helpful advice (i.e. ranting) about working together and taking the bull by the horns and running it up the flagpole to see if the cat licks it up, etc. but I'll refrain. I certainly don't want to denigrate all the effort that has been made -- I just want to see more of it! :)

F. Note that I've identified all my comments by helpful numbers and letters so you can reply:

"Gee, Paul, I thought point B4 was particularly enlightening. Can I send you some money?"

Paul