Windows DMD installer

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jun 28 01:20:13 PDT 2009

"Daniel Keep" <daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:h26unf$1kt9$1 at digitalmars.com...

> 2. Management.
>
> If you re-run the installer, it should show your installed compilers and
> toolchain programs, check for updates and offer to upgrade them.  It
> should also allow you to install another compiler in *addition* to any
> existing ones, as well as remove them and select which one goes on the
> system/user PATH.

Yes, very good idea.

> As for using an installer "tool", I don't think that's really applicable
> for something like this.  I say write it in D because otherwise we'll
> have people saying that D sucks because we don't use it.  *sigh*

I'd imagine it'd just be a small minority of boneheads doing that, and
mostly ones that are just simply looking for *any* reason to dismiss D. I
think, initially, the most important thing is to have a good system up and
running with whatever gets us there with the least trouble. *Then* we can
worry about porting it to D for "purity" and warm fuzzy feelings. And it's
not like this sort of bootstrapping isn't common for new languages anyway
(Heck, I bet the JVM still isn't written in Java.) What we certainly don't
want to do is end up reinventing a full NSIS/InnoWhatever clone in D before
finally getting around to giving people this important tool.

> (I actually think we need a proper community-run front page for D, but
> that's for another day.)

One can wish...

> [1] You think that should be "Acidosis"?  Really, Thunderbird
> spell-checker?  REALLY?

Hah! :) You know, as much as I like open-source apps, I swear, I have never
come across a spelling-suggestion engine in an open-source app that was
actually worth a shit. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit (and venting), but I
constantly get so fed up (firefox in particular, but OpenOffice too) with
suggestion systems that never have the word I'm looking for unless my guess
just happened to be an unbelievably tiny hamming distance away. Have you
ever found yourself rewriting the same misspelled word numerous incorrect
ways just to get the stupid checker to figure it out? I do that constantly.
It'd probably be quicker just to grab a real dictionary.