Windows DMD installer

Lester L. Martin II lestermartin92 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 05:44:04 PDT 2009

Lester L. Martin II Wrote:

> Jesse Phillips Wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 03:43:16 +0300, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> >
> > > As recently posted by WB, we should get a Windows installer project
> > > going. I think we should first discuss what this installer would
> > > contain, which installer framework to use, etc.
> >
> > So, something like the DInstaller project?
> >
> > http://dsource.org/projects/dinstaller
> >
> > Never really got a great amount of interest.
>
> That was my project. I stopped for a while out of disinterest and I'm working on it a bit, just no commits. I was working on something that would help DSSS net out I think. I haven't finished it yet. If there is any interest please email me, post here, or in the Dinstaller forum part. I'm not just going to let it die, I've just got a bit behind is all.

I was a bit skimpy on the projects plan. It's supposed to end up being a D Installer in D for multiple compiler sets, libraries, and some other stuff and it would use DSSS net to get all these different things once I completed that DSSS Net thing. It would end up being like a "package manager" for D because it could upgrade, downgrade and so much more such as resolve conflicts between libraries ("No, you are not allowed to install that because it is not going to work with what you got, can I recommend you X instead, oh, ok you said no, do you want to install anyway, gosh, you said yes, I'll continue, but don't say I didn't warn ya"). Of course that type of resolving feature wasn't going to make it into first release because that's particularly hard. The upgrade feature would upgrade or fail and not upgrade anything. the downgrade feature is a "just in case" feature. Of course, most of this is conceptual at the moment, though I have a lot of the backend of a DSSS net thing written, I have yet to give it the hooks required to download, and install, and have yet to give it a simple command line interface.