Windows DMD installer

BCS none at anon.com
Sun Jun 28 15:29:03 PDT 2009

Hello Vladimir,

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:23:11 +0300, BCS <none at anon.com> wrote:
>
>> libs? maybe. Tools? No! I hate "installeres" that go out and download
>> what they are supposed to install. For one thing it make it really
>> hard  to archive your toolchain.
>>
> This would imply that you (and other users) would have to download the
> entire toolchain every time one tool updates.

The same people who want to archive there tool chains will pick one version
and stick with it. That's the point of archiving it; so that you can keep
a copy of that verion around.

That said, I'd be fine with an installer that offers to go find the latest
versions. Or replace the whole thing with a list of links to installers for
each component.

> Also I think it's pretty clear that Walter would rather have the
> installer download DMD rather than include it.

I think what is clear is that  Walter wants DMD to get distributed from the
digitalmars site. I suspect if we get a setup working where he can generate
the installer by running a single script that he would have no issue putting
the result up there.

> What's wrong with compressing your entire D folder, including all
> settings?

For me? Nothing. But if that's the option, I'll just skip the installer all
together and just download dmd.*.zip