At a crossroad

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Mon Jun 29 06:12:44 PDT 2009

Sjoerd van Leent escribió:
> Hi Ary,
>
> I think this is the issue. I'm not saying that D in itself is lacking anything. I think it is important to put an end to changing D (D2).
>
> What I'm concerned about is that many projects stall. Including a project I started, which is now completely incompatible with D2.
>
> What I want to say is that before we miss our chance, we need to get D2 going.
>
> I'm rightfully concerned about two main libraries (Phobos and Tango). It's next to being impractical, also very confusing. If I want to develop anything new, I want to know what I should and shouldn't use. So that others are able to use what I develop in a sensible way.
>
> I know I'm repeating a discussion that many others already tried to discuss. And I doubt that I'm on my own in this.
>
> I'm not saying that I don't want to do anything. I do want to do. But I also want it to be meaningful.
>
> So, my first question would be: What is going to be the main-purpose library for D2? Phobos or Tango. With that answered I'm willing to port things over and help development. Without that, knowing that half of the users can't use half of the tools/libraries, I don't see much purpose in doing this. Since it is not realistic, and I can put effort in things that are more worthwhile.

I see.

Yes, two main-purpose libraries are indeed a problem. I thought druntime
was supposed to solve this, but if you are developing a library you'll
end up using one of the two, and then another library developed in the
other main-purpose library will not be compatible, unless you throw a
lot of version conditions all over the place. A real mess. :-P

Why can't Tango be a library instead of a standard library?

(I'm just saying Tango here because phobos was the original standard
library, it could be the other way around, but Tango seems also more of
a higher-level API.)