Give me a break

superdan super at dan.org
Mon Jun 29 06:50:29 PDT 2009

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
> news:h29gil$6u3$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > "Jarrett Billingsley" <jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:mailman.316.1246228005.13405.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> >> With four or five people having voiced concerns over the future of D
> >> in the past week or so, what's the busiest discussion?
> >>
> >> int.nan, of course.
> >>
> >> Come on.  Get with the program.  Enough already with the bikeshed
> >> bullshit.  There are far more important issues at hand.
> >
> > Oh, please, if int.nan is a bikeshed discussion, then what would we call
> > complaining *about* that discussion? Some of us find it an interesting
> > discussion. So we talk about it. Big f&**^ deal.
>
> And if we really need more "future of D" discussion, here's one: How's D
> going to look to newcomers if the forums have topic-of-discussion-police
> that go around complaining "We shouldn't be talking about this!" "This isn't
> a worthy debate!" "But, this'll never actually happen, so why mention it?!"
> I've been down this road before (man, how I've been down it...). Next thing
> that happens is more people come in on each side of this endless rabbit hole
> that is meta-discussion, real debate slows down (both hypothetical and
> practical), tempers flare, people leave, and the whole group degenerates
> into a paralyzed staticy dysfunctional madness. It's a sad, sad thing. Yea,
> sure, that sounds like a classic "slippery slope" fallacy, but damn if I
> haven't seen it happen time and time again. Let's not go there.

u got me wrong d00d. problem's not topic police. problem's topic bullshit. making int min int nan iz bullshit. d is systems language. int nan requires tests inserted all over. otherwise it's useless. some ops would return int nan. question is: wut does a newcummer think seein' shitty ideaz all over dis group.