At a crossroad

superdude superdude at superdude.net
Mon Jun 29 09:57:29 PDT 2009

As someone who is reading this newsgroup instead of watching a soap
opera, I will give you my useless reasons why I have given up on D,
completely:

Lost focus:
D was intended as a system programming language, at some point the
direction changed to a pure functional research toy. No longer
intresting for me.

D2 Vapoware:
Using pure, side effect free, shared nothing, transitiv, functional
programming D2 will automatically distribute your program on multiple
cores and your programm will run - magically - number of cores times -
faster.
If not, at least D2 will make it possible to write multithreaded
programs, easily. Besides this it is still an ideal system programming
language. You can use it to build the next operating system. *Show me
the results, YESTERDAY!* Unfortunately it will not be compatible with
D1, so prepare yourself to rewrite your programs.

Conservative Garbage Collection:
Some of my programs build structures requirering more than 1.5GByte of
memory. Conservative Garbage Collections, simply does not work for 32bit
programs. Try it for yourself.

Library Split:
"I'm not interested in Tango and in no way I'm going to support it!
Phobos is the standard library. Period." - I was looking for such a
sentence. Or "Ok, Tango is great. It will replace Phobos. Phobos will
only stay for backwards combatibility."

I recognized I'm looking for something different:
I recognized what I actually want is not D. It is a python or ruby -
with the speed of C. I'm aware it does not exist, yet. But actually it
is a lot easier and more fun to use Python and write some performance
critical stuff in C or C++ than to use D. All this template stuff... For
what? Give me a high dynamic language, please.
D offers too less compared to C++, C# or Java. And D is usually slower
than C++ or Java...

Zealots trolling in the news:
Sometimes very offending discussions in the forum. Some people show very
litle tollerance to different opinions. No one steps in and says: "Stop
it, now! It's enough! This is not a forum about XXXXX. It's about the D
programming language!".

As long as superdan is licking his balls and fucking his mother. -
Nothing will change. There will be at least two standard libraries. Who
gives a fucking shit! There will never be a a high concurrent D2 - It's
the halting problem, you sucker! - only transtitiv const. There will
always be funny discussion to read in the forum, etc.

So long, a thanks for all the fish!