At a crossroad

Mon Jun 29 11:29:43 PDT 2009

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Lars T.
> Kyllingstad<public at kyllingen.nospamnet> wrote:
>
>> This also applies to the toolchain issue that has been mentioned several
>> times of late. If you can't live without all the luxuries of a fully
>> developed, stable toolchain, *don't use D2*.
>
> Wait, are you suggesting that D1 *does* have a fully-developed, stable
> toolchain?
>
> Have you developed in D?  Ever?  ;)

Touché. :) But that's a whole other discussion.

That said, it is strange, and very unfortunate, that after GDC "died" it
took so long for an alternative to appear. After all, D1 hasn't changed
in a long time.

And to answer your question even though it was rhetorical: Yes, I've
used both D1 and D2, but I suspect my requirements are simpler than
those of many others. Give me a Linux compiler, a simple build system
(I've found the new rdmd to be just perfect), and an editor with syntax
highlighting, and I'm a happy camper.

For that reason I'm not going to shout very loudly in these discussions,
but I get annoyed when I see people complaining about D2 being a moving
target. After all, it comes with a big, red sticker that says "this is a
moving target".

-Lars