At a crossroad

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:49:43 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Lars T.
Kyllingstad<public at kyllingen.nospamnet> wrote:

> For that reason I'm not going to shout very loudly in these discussions, but
> I get annoyed when I see people complaining about D2 being a moving target.
> After all, it comes with a big, red sticker that says "this is a moving
> target".

I have to heartily disagree.  I can't tell you how many people have
stumbled into the #d channel on IRC who are using D2, wondering why
some feature X isn't working, or how to install Tango, or wondering
why none of the libraries they've installed compile etc. etc.

It's not really surprising.  You go to http://www.digitalmars.com/d/
and you are almost immediately pushed into the D2 spec.  All of the
links on the left-hand side point to the D2 pages.  *Nowhere* is it
mentioned that I can see that it's alpha- or beta-quality software, or
that it's still under development.  All of the articles Walter,
Andrei, and Bartosz on DDJ, blogs etc. are in reference to D2.

The end result is that many newcomers don't know anything about the
current situation.  They don't know D1 even *exists*, or that D2 is
under development, or that most of the D code out there probably won't
compile with DMD2 because it's D1 code.  It's all very
under-explained.