At a crossroad

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 12:44:36 PDT 2009

== Quote from bearophile (bearophileHUGS at lycos.com)'s article
> dsimcha:
> > Python and Ruby
> > are constrained by their dynamic design such that they will likely always be slow
> > and there is no room for improvement.
> This is the opposite of the truth :-)
> Being Python slow, there can be ways to speed it up. Being D fast, there's
little room from improvement. See unladen swallow project, for example:
> http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/
> Or Just Psyco:
> http://psyco.sourceforge.net/
> Bye,
> bearophile

Sorry, I misspoke slightly.  I meant that these languages will never be in the
same league as D, not that they will never be faster than they are now.  Of
course, they can be made *somewhat* faster, but all the fancy stuff they do at
runtime is pretty limiting in terms of performance optimizations.