improving the D spec

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:32:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Christian
Kamm<kamm-incasoftware at removethis.de> wrote:

> In the wake of the recent 'state of D' articles, I've looked at the D1 spec
> bugs on bugzilla and grouped them by topic. I've also separated them into
> issues that probably need compiler changes (+) and bugs that might be
> resolved by a spec change (*).
>
> My plan is to go through the issues and to write up spec patches where the
> resolution is clear. This should cover a fair number of bugs, in particular
> those of the 'missing documentation' kind. If there's doubt as to what
> should be done, I'll assign to Walter and might bring the discussion to the
> newsgroup.
>
> To show that this - apart from being useful for compiler developers and
> users alike - is far from boring, I'll present some facts I learned while
> experimenting with template ordering and IFTI in a separate post.
>
> Unfortunately, the list is very long and thus I hope that more people will
> contribute patches. Sure, fixing bugs in the spec doesn't change the
> compiler or add a cool new feature, but I sincerely hope that it will make D
> more mature and simpler to implement.

Wow, you're awesome.  Seriously.

This is quite a coincidence.  Just yesterday, I created a Trac
environment on my website to, uh, well, respecify D.

http://www.jfbillingsley.com/dspec/

Nothing terribly pretty yet, and there's really only the Lexical
section done, but if you'd like, I can get you write access to it.  As
well as anyone else who's interested.  I plan on having are
'rationale' sections to explain why features are chosen, and
'questions' sections for clarifying points in a Q&A format.  And of
course, being a Wiki, it should be much easier to modify.

Input from an implementer of a D compiler would be greatly welcomed :)