Give me a break

Tom S h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl
Mon Jun 29 14:05:29 PDT 2009

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>> Apparently you don't share Jarrett's consciousness of the problem
>>> that more important issues are left undiscussed.
>>
>> Exactly.  It's not necessarily that I have a problem with people
>> discussing int.nan.  It's when people are discussing int.nan to death
>> when _there is a very real possibility that D has no future_.  And
>> when people bring up valid, uncomfortable truths and the resulting
>> discussion instead degrades into random, minor issues that have
>> nothing to do with the original post.
>
> I disagree with the above.
> first, people have a prerogative to discuss whatever they want to death.
>  don't participate if you don't like it.

> second, saying that D has no future is illogical - the spec is open
> source and there is a fully open source compiler for it (LDC), so
> whatever happens it's always possible to just for it as D++ or
> communityD or whatever.

Modula-3 has a future!

> thirdly, D has a dictator, Walter Bright, which decides its fate and we
> have almost zero influence on this.

I thought "The needs and contributions of the D programming community
form the direction it goes.".

> your scripting language, while awesome, has little bearing on the future
> of the D language itself.

So have many other projects. Let's stop writing them and all focus on
making a compiler, IDE and a debugger for a language used by no one...
wait, what?
But what you're saying is true - it has little bearing on D -
unfortunately so, as it's one of the biggest and oldest projects using
it. One would think that a successful product would be shaped upon
feedback from its most important customers.

> IMHO, the Tango vs. Phobos licensing issue is the biggest bikeshed color
> problem in the D realm and the only people that can solve it are the
> tango devs and walter and co. of which Neither are willing to budge.

Uhhh... try listening to Tango folks sometimes. They really have tried.

> since I have no power to help solve this problem, I see no need to waste
> my time/energy on it. I see therefore only two options to proceed:
> a. wait until it is solved by the relevant parties.
> b. join a fork effort.

a) Won't happen on its own. The relevant parties must be informed by
*someone*
b) I think we're all trying to avoid this one.

--
Tomasz Stachowiak
http://h3.team0xf.com/