Give me a break

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:01:12 PDT 2009

Tom S wrote:
> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>
>> thirdly, D has a dictator, Walter Bright, which decides its fate and
>> we have almost zero influence on this.
>
> I thought "The needs and contributions of the D programming community
> form the direction it goes.".

who told you that?

>> your scripting language, while awesome, has little bearing on the
>> future of the D language itself.
>
> So have many other projects. Let's stop writing them and all focus on
> making a compiler, IDE and a debugger for a language used by no one...
> wait, what?
> But what you're saying is true - it has little bearing on D -
> unfortunately so, as it's one of the biggest and oldest projects using
> it. One would think that a successful product would be shaped upon
> feedback from its most important customers.
>

>> IMHO, the Tango vs. Phobos licensing issue is the biggest bikeshed
>> color problem in the D realm and the only people that can solve it are
>> the tango devs and walter and co. of which Neither are willing to budge.
>
> Uhhh... try listening to Tango folks sometimes. They really have tried.
>

>> since I have no power to help solve this problem, I see no need to
>> waste my time/energy on it. I see therefore only two options to proceed:
>> a. wait until it is solved by the relevant parties.
>> b. join a fork effort.
>
> a) Won't happen on its own. The relevant parties must be informed by
> *someone*
> b) I think we're all trying to avoid this one.

I see no reason to avoid option b. it is a valid option. this fear of
forking is silly IMO, since forking brought a lot of good to the world.
one example that comes to mind is compiz vs. Beryl.

here's my take on this:
when people have a headache they usually just take an aspirin to stop
the pain instead of taking care of the root cause of that headache.

I see the same thing here. people keep complaining about all the various
symptoms: two incompatible standard libraries, toolchain issues, legacy
linker, license issues, D2 is a moving target, stability, etc..

what is missing in all of those is a specification for the development
process of D. until this is properly defined and designed, there will
little progress with any of the core issues IMO.
this is exactly what separates successful languages like Python, C#,
Java, even C++ from D.