New User Experience

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 19:59:12 PDT 2009

Jarrett Billingsley, el 29 de junio a las 20:30 me escribiste:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Nick Sabalausky<a at a.a> wrote:
>
> > I've been browsing through the html/js code for that page. Looks it what it
> > does is asynchronously load an XML representation (generated by the server)
> > of all the project information and then, on the client-side, that XML is
> > parsed and used to generate the project list/links. Of course, I can't be
> > certain just from looking at that where most of the time is being spent,
> > client or server, but judging by the fact that I'm stubbornly holding on to
> > FF2 (yea, I really, really hate FF3, and I am really, really picky) and
> > nobody else seems to be complaining about the loading, I'd guess it's
> > probably mostly the client code that's taking all the time.
>
> I use FF3 and there's still a considerable delay (~7s).  Of course,
> it's _the Internet_ over a questionable Comcast connection.  Half the
> time it takes servers several seconds to respond to static page
> requests anyway.

It's really slow here too (FF3 with a regular 1mbps ADSL connection).

I find that delay really annoying too and I agree it looks like nothing is
going on there, because FF don't show any progress, so I agree too that
if the slowness can't be fixed, a client-side progress or a simple
synchronous load would be better than nothing.