New User Experience

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Jun 29 20:59:03 PDT 2009

"Jesse Phillips" <jessekphillips at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:h2bsqf$2374$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:03:59 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> - Somewhere prominent (buy maybe not too prominent? FAQ page, maybe?),
>> there should be an admission of the Phobos/Tango situation (because
>> people are going to find out anyway) together with a well-written
>> explanation of why/how it occurred, why people shouldn't just dismiss D
>> because of it, what's being done about it, DRuntime, etc.
>
> It is more of a community issue than a language issue.

That's true, but it is something that affects all users of the language.

>> - digitalmars.com/d should be converted to run on some sort of wiki or
>> content management software so that, not necessarily the public, but at
>> least a select few individuals can help keep "official"
>> content/links/etc up-to-date without Walter needing to be bothered to
>> take extra time do it. The D Wiki is great, but it's existence isn't
>> exactly obvious for someone coming in through digitalmars.com/d. This
>> would solve that and keep the whole thing relatively future-proof.
>
> The issues with this is that the Phobos docs are generated ddoc files. It
> wouldn't be a good mix to have part wiki part not wiki. I also don't
> think this would be necessary, Walter would probably be willing to let
> the select few restructure it with the current code.

Good points.

> Also I don't see
> this working out considering how poorly Wiki4D has been kept up-to-date.

I could very well be completely wrong, but I suspect that may be partly
because people know that Wiki4D tends to not be particularly visible to
newcomers coming in through the main digitalmars site - ie the very people
who would get the most usefulness from reading the wiki (not that the rest
of us don't find it useful), and are thus discouraged from making the
effort.

At the very least, digitalmars.com/d could really use to make Wiki4D
extremely visible and obvious, like an officially sanctioned third party D
resource, or something like that. In fact, a major reason for my suggestion
that digitalmars.com/d be updatable by more people than Walter (if it isn't
already) is so that sites like Wiki4D could be given the prominence and
visibility they need in order to accomplish their goals.