Windows DMD installer

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 21:39:20 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> I guess it's just that an installer that needs anything else (including
> an internet connection) to install seems utterly pointless to me. In my
> book an installer is firstly the data to be installed and secondly a
> tool to configure it. When I download an installer, I want to know that
> it will work where ever and when ever I have that file. Even if Walter
> decides to shutdown digitalmars so he can go off and become a monk.

One thing I should probably have made explicit: the Cygwin setup program
downloads all packages as you request them, *and keeps a local cache*.

Let's say you wanted to install D on a machine with no 'net access.
Grab the installer, put it on a 'net-connected machine, select what you
want and check a "download only" option.  Then you can archive the whole
directory for later.

> Anything worth looking at will do the only things I think a DMD
> installer should do.

The only reason I don't suggest putting together a simple installer
is... I just don't see the point.  Lacking any sort of "bundle-ready"
IDE or documentation, what would it do?

I suppose it'd be trivial to knock together something that just extracts
the archive and sets the PATH.  I just have a very hard time accepting
that there exist "programmers" THAT lazy and/or stupid.

Oh to hell with it.