Windows DMD installer

BCS none at anon.com
Mon Jun 29 22:51:00 PDT 2009

Hello Daniel,

> One thing I should probably have made explicit: the Cygwin setup
> program downloads all packages as you request them, *and keeps a local
> cache*.
>
> Let's say you wanted to install D on a machine with no 'net access.
> Grab the installer, put it on a 'net-connected machine, select what you
> want and check a "download only" option.  Then you can archive the whole
> directory for later.

A "bundle everything" installer can't be that much harder to build, how about
make one of each?

> The only reason I don't suggest putting together a simple installer
> is... I just don't see the point.  Lacking any sort of "bundle-ready"
> IDE or documentation, what would it do?

I can easily see some pointy haired boss forbidding the use of something
because the "installer" is a zip file.

> I suppose it'd be trivial to knock together something that just
> extracts the archive and sets the PATH.  I just have a very hard time
> accepting that there exist "programmers" THAT lazy and/or stupid.

I have a hard time believing that there is an upper (or lower) bound on how
lazy and/or stupid people can be, regardless of what they do for a living.