optlink on multicore machines

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 30 01:29:19 PDT 2009

After acquiring a mysterious virus that would randomly hang my Windows
box at 100% CPU but all the processes showed 0 runtime, it was time to
reinstall Windows. Since installing Windows is an all-day affair, I
decided it was time to upgrade my 7 year old hardware to multicore.

Once I was up and running, I decided to run the D test suite. I
immediately discovered that optlink simply doesn't work on multicore.
The multithreading code in it was developed for a single core machine,
and multicore is different.

I was able to fix it by running the command:

    imagecfg -a 0x1 \dm\bin\link.exe

imagecfg.exe is downloadable from the internet. This command patches the
executable so it only runs on one core.