Windows DMD installer

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 01:44:09 PDT 2009

BCS wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
>

>> One thing I should probably have made explicit: the Cygwin setup
>> program downloads all packages as you request them, *and keeps a local
>> cache*.
>>
>> Let's say you wanted to install D on a machine with no 'net access.
>> Grab the installer, put it on a 'net-connected machine, select what you
>> want and check a "download only" option.  Then you can archive the whole
>> directory for later.
>
> A "bundle everything" installer can't be that much harder to build, how
> about make one of each?

Oh, it'd definitely be easier.  *However*

Daniel Keep wrote:
> But technically, the people who download it then can't redistribute
> it. I just think it's simpler to have the installer download the zip
> file itself and avoid the problem in its entirety.

One big download is technically simpler, but not legally.  :P

I don't want to have to put up a big "Download D!" link and then have a
block of small print below it saying "By the way, you're not legally
allowed to redistribute this installer, host it anywhere, mirror it,
etc." and then have to explain why.

For reference, here's the applicable snippet of the license:

> The Software is copyrighted and comes with a single user license,
> and may not be redistributed. If you wish to obtain a redistribution
> license, please contact Digital Mars.

Maybe we could work out a license with Walter for the installers which
allows them to be arbitrarily redistributed provided the installer is
unmodified?  Then we can show the DMD license itself as part of the
install process.

>> The only reason I don't suggest putting together a simple installer
>> is... I just don't see the point.  Lacking any sort of "bundle-ready"
>> IDE or documentation, what would it do?
>
> I can easily see some pointy haired boss forbidding the use of something
> because the "installer" is a zip file.
>
>> I suppose it'd be trivial to knock together something that just
>> extracts the archive and sets the PATH.  I just have a very hard time
>> accepting that there exist "programmers" THAT lazy and/or stupid.
>
> I have a hard time believing that there is an upper (or lower) bound on
> how lazy and/or stupid people can be, regardless of what they do for a
> living.

I know, I know.

*sigh*  I've already started trying to whip the language docs into shape
for building into a CHM.  I found CyberShadow's CHM stuff
<http://thecybershadow.net/d/docs/> which will make a good starting point.

I want to remove the cruft around the content (such as the DigitalMars
navigation) and give it a minor facelift (look at some nicer fonts,
maybe a little bit of visual bling).

I also want to look at making two versions: a language+phobos help file
and a language+tango help file.  I also want to find a tutorial to
include with it.