Windows DMD installer

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 12:53:00 PDT 2009

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
<snip>
> Since this is a community project, it's important not to make any
> component dependent on a single party. I was thinking of something like
> DSSS's system, where package maintainers can register and maintain
> installation/uninstallation "recipes" (not unlike GoboLinux).

I guess I'll just have to look into this DSSS thing sometime.

<snip>
>> Why not install all third-party libraries under a common base path?
>
> Some libraries are packaged with documentation, examples, etc. with the
> actual source in a subdirectory. On my system I resolve this with a
> "packages" directory (containing library packages with the directory
> structure intact) and an "import" directory, which contains symlinks to
> the libraries' source directories. We can't do this since some users
> still use FAT32.

That begs the question of whether keeping the directory structure intact
at all costs is something we really want to do.  ISTM part of the
process of installing something is putting the parts of a package in
their respective right places.

Is there a plan for how to deal with modules that are duplicated between
library packages?

Stewart.