Windows DMD installer

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Tue Jun 30 14:17:48 PDT 2009

Walter Bright wrote:
> Ary Borenszweig wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> Why does it need to set registry keys?
>>
>> To make uninstall available from the add/remove programs in Windows.
>>
>> Also to remember the installation language (just for the UI of the
>> installer), although English is the only language for now, but it's
>> easy to add another ones (supporting multiple languages in the
>> installer makes it look more professional also).
>
> Makes sense. Can you email me the makefile or build.bat? I'd say check
> it in, but the project still hasn't been created.

I've updated the installer:

http://downloads.dsource.org/projects/descent/dinstaller/

I've uploaded the make_dinstaller.bat file, which just contains:

makensis dinstaller.nsi

You'll need NSIS for this, and it must be in your path (or change the
bat to include the absolute path, and that's it).

When generating the installer you can choose whether it will download
the zip files (and where from), or whether it will contain the zip files
in it. If you open the dinstaller.nsi you'll see this:

;--------------------------------------------------------
; Defines
;--------------------------------------------------------

; Download zip from website, or include the compressed zip?
!define Download

; If Download, the urls of the dmd.zip and dmc.zip
!define DownloadDmdZipUrl "http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.030.zip"
!define DownloadDmcZipUrl "http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmc.zip"

; If not Download, the paths of dmd.zip and dmc.zip
!define DmdZipPath "dmd.1.030.zip"
!define DmcZipPath "dmc.zip"

---

I think that's pretty self explanatory. :)

Both DmdZipPath and DmcZipPath may be absolute.

You can also declare these defines when invoking makensis, like:

makensis /DDownloadDmdZipUrl=whatever

but you'll need to remove the defines from the nsi file.

I hope that helps. :)