Promote D in wikipedia

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Sun Mar 1 03:09:11 PST 2009

Derek Parnell wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:16:55 -0500, Raph wrote:
>> I appreciate a lot this brand new language. Today I have searched for design
>> patterns in Wikipedia, I was surprised by the lack of demo code in D. There
>> is a lot in Java, C++, Php, C#... but not in D :(
>>
>> I started to write demo code for singleton and visitor. It could be a good
>> idea to continue and make D famous, isnt it ?
>
> The thing is, Wikipedia is not the platform for promoting specific
> 'brands'. The purpose is more geared towards promoting ideas, concepts, and
> facts. Providing alternate examples of design patterns in D, in articles
> about patterns, is not the best use of Wikipedia.
>
> The places to but D code examples, are in articles about D, or where there
> are no existing examples for a concept or technique. I'm pretty sure that
> if you enter D examples where similar examples in other languages already
> exist, they will be promptly removed. Also, C is still the lingua-franca of
> the programming community, so examples in *any* other language are usually
> subject to 'special' editoral scrutiny.

While you are correct, it shouldn't discourage us from trying.

And, as you say, pages where there isn't yet any C or Java would be the
best places to start.

As aarti_pl pointed out, it might happen that some D code gets removed,
especially if there already is C, Java or C# code for the same thing.
This only serves to show that proponents of other languages have this
same idea of languages competing for publicity. This should make us even
more determined!