Promote D in wikipedia

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 03:41:16 PST 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> The thing is, Wikipedia is not the platform for promoting specific
>> 'brands'. The purpose is more geared towards promoting ideas,
>> concepts, and
>> facts. Providing alternate examples of design patterns in D, in articles
>> about patterns, is not the best use of Wikipedia.
>> The places to but D code examples, are in articles about D, or where
>> there
>> are no existing examples for a concept or technique. I'm pretty sure that
>> if you enter D examples where similar examples in other languages already
>> exist, they will be promptly removed. Also, C is still the
>> lingua-franca of
>> the programming community, so examples in *any* other language are
>> usually
>> subject to 'special' editoral scrutiny.
>
> While you are correct, it shouldn't discourage us from trying.
>
> And, as you say, pages where there isn't yet any C or Java would be the
> best places to start.
>
> As aarti_pl pointed out, it might happen that some D code gets removed,
> especially if there already is C, Java or C# code for the same thing.
> This only serves to show that proponents of other languages have this
> same idea of languages competing for publicity. This should make us even
> more determined!

You don't win fans by going around shouting in people's faces, nor by
artificially inflating your own importance.  Don't forget that Wikipedia
is meant as a reference.  As much as we'd like to believe otherwise, D
is a nothing to the general programming public.  They have examples in
C, Java, etc. because those languages are widely used.  D isn't.

It'd be like adding examples in INTERCAL.  They'd remove it because it's
not a "big," popular language.

Now, getting more projects out there written in D is another matter
entirely...

  -- Daniel