__FUNCTION__

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Sun Mar 1 08:18:28 PST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:42:55 -0500, Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>>
>>> Then, as Andrei suggested, we need a more flexible and fine-grained
>>> reflection mechanism.  :)
>>
>> Agreed, but are you also suggesting that a simple __FUNCTION__ should
>> also
>> exist?
>>
>> By the way, my fear for D is that it is turning into an ASCII version of
>> APL.
>>

> I don't know much about APL, what was wrong with it?

Plenty.

It was a write-only language, on a par with brainf**ck.

I've known guru-level apl programmers who regularly couldn't read their
own code the next week.

It's probably the most concise way of writing heavy and ultra efficient
data manipulation code.

It's a bit like spending a week writing an 80-character hairy regexp,
and later trying to figure out how the heck it actually works.

----

But I think some of us should stick with D1.