Installing dmd

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 09:31:34 PST 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 06:56:50PM +0200, Georg Wrede wrote:
> Ever since stone age, one's PATH contains ~/bin for one's own binaries.
> I believe this is with all Linux distros, and IIRC on Solaris. Probably
> on OSX too. The ~/bin isn't created for you, but that's the canonical
> place for the small dmd invocators.

Yah, that's what I use.

> I was just trying to figure out what the INSTALL.TXT should say about
> that. Somehow /usr/local/bin would seem the right place, but it doesn't
> usually contain other than executables, and certainly not subdirectories.
>
> So looks like the dmd tree has to be put somewhere else.

Qt installs itself to /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.version with bin, lib, include,
etc. as subdirectories in there.

It looks like Java and Mono do the same if you manually install them.

Something similar seems like a pretty good choice here too. Maybe:
/usr/local/digitalmars/d1 and /d2

> Only problem is that subdirectories of /usr/local/bin aren't in the
> path, so one would have to create here the starter scripts you've done.
>
> Any ideas?

I think putting the subdirs in /usr/local/whatever is the best option -
it leads to easy installation and also easy uninstallation (though why
would you do that??? :P)

Once there, you can use helper scripts (or symlinks) in /usr/local/bin,
or adjust your PATH.

I'd give instructions for both, probably putting the path instructions first.
(You'd also want to do that on Windows, so it is the most cross platform and
the least invasive method.)

--
Adam D. Ruppe
http://arsdnet.net