std.locale

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sun Mar 1 20:20:59 PST 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> What else? Well, it is conceivable that he wants his program to print
> dates and times the way it's done over there. He simply writes the
> program "by hand" so it does dates and times like he wants. Even if
> there was a locale thing in the language, he wouldn't bother with the
> hassle. And he couldn't care less about Urdu.

I've attempted to use locales, but the reason I'd always wind up doing
it by hand is because the existing libraries to do it are obtuse,
impenetrable, execrable, and pretty much unusable.

So it may be that it's an insoluble problem, or maybe nobody has come up
with the right abstraction yet. I don't have nearly enough experience
with it to know the answer.