std.locale

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Sun Mar 1 20:52:22 PST 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Sooner or later that will need to be defined. I know next to nothing
>> about locales. (I know I dislike the design C++ uses.)
>

> D uses Utf-8, and that is *good enough*!
>
> This lets my programs "understand" Finnish, and doesn't give me undue
> headaches.
>

> Seriously tending to locale issues would be an *endless swamp*. Just for
> this, I looked up something suitable to read:
>
> http://www.manpagez.com/man/1/perllocale/
>
> It may even be that you would find the time, but think about Walter and
> us, please. There *really are* other things to do.
>

> An excellent string hierarchy without the entire rest of i18n, is only
> going to look like a Ferrari with a Trabant engine. Which is worse than
> nothing at all.
>
> Besides, there's more to this than just designing the perfect, or even a
> good locale system in a language. *Somebody should actually use it*.
>
> Now, the non-English programmer, what does he really want? He wants to
> be able to type stuff into his program in his native character set. D
> already does that, by way of Utf-8.
>
> What else? Well, it is conceivable that he wants his program to print
> dates and times the way it's done over there. He simply writes the
> program "by hand" so it does dates and times like he wants. Even if
> there was a locale thing in the language, he wouldn't bother with the
> hassle. And he couldn't care less about Urdu.
>
> The hypothetical Ambitious Programmer might want to use locale. He could
> then have the dates and times (and currencies, etc.) follow the country.
> Now, that might sound commendable, but in practice it *crumbles*.
> He can't possibly know how to deal with languages that are written
> backwards, languages where several characters make one letter, exotic
> ways of writing dates, etc.
>
> So, his fancy i18n project is doomed to be, at most, as usable as the
> "normal" D program. Probably less, since his decisions will actually
> worsen the user experience -- for users in another culture.
>

> And, any project big enough to tackle this, will implement its own
> locale handling anyway. I'm sorry to say.
>
> ----
>
> Yes, locales are nice and all.
> For D 3.5 that is.
> Honestly.

If you don't use it, you don't use it; but please don't ruin it for the
sake of those of us who will.

I will use it (go Andrei!)
people who have to muck with spreadsheet libraries might use it
people who write spreadsheet libraries might use it

wish I had some good ideas for Andrei, but I can't say as I do.