std.locale

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Mar 1 22:04:47 PST 2009

Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> I've attempted to use locales, but the reason I'd always wind up doing
>> it by hand is because the existing libraries to do it are obtuse,
>> impenetrable, execrable, and pretty much unusable.
>>
>> So it may be that it's an insoluble problem, or maybe nobody has come up
>> with the right abstraction yet. I don't have nearly enough experience
>> with it to know the answer.
>
> Sounds like it’s not yet suitable for D2, then, at least not in std.
> Perhaps put an experimental interface in ext?

Good idea. But before we do so, I was hoping I'd pick the brains of
people who have used locales in other languages and understand the
burning points. Somehow, however, I'm doing a lousy job at eliciting
contributions from people on this newsgroup (guess I'd be a lousy
salesman). I tried a couple of times and all I got was a few new keyword
proposals and a few new syntax proposals :o). What am I doing wrong?

Andrei