std.locale

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 04:14:31 PST 2009

Georg Wrede wrote:
> (You know, a few years ago we had a major conversation here about
> whether non-ASCII variable names should be accepted in D. The end result
> is, yes. (I just tried it.) Now, how can an international team cowork on
> a project where variable names are written so the other folks can't even
> type them with their keyboards???

On the other hand, if you have a Chinese development team, why should
they be limited to ASCII variable names? It doesn't make sense for them.

> -- All very nice, but no cigar. That's
> about as smart as letting people define *unlimited* length variable names!)

I recently dealt with a programming language that specified a limit of
63 characters for identifier names. This wouldn't have been a
significant problem, except that I was generating code automatically,
and some of my identifiers were over 90 characters. Identifier length
limits are evil, unless they're ridiculously large (C#, I think, limits
identifiers to 4096 characters).