std.locale

Mon Mar 2 04:57:29 PST 2009

Don wrote:
> there's no simple solution. (<gripe> They could at least recognize that
> outside the US, everyone uses A4-size paper, not that bizarro
> letter/legal stuff </gripe>).

Amen!

>> It is usual that the user needs to write, say, in Swedish or in
>> Russian, while in a Finnish setting. Or that one wants to use a
>> decimal separator other than what is "proper" for the country.
>>
>> For example, a lot of people use "." instead of the official "," in
>> Finland, and many use time as "18:23" instead of "18.23".
>
> This is my experience as well. There's an awful lot of expats in the world.

Not just expats.
For example: I was born & raised in the Netherlands, but even though
officially we use a decimal comma here, I almost always use a decimal
point instead. This may have been caused by use of the US keyboard
layout (and its numeric keypad in particular), but I now even catch
myself using it when writing with a pen...

> I nearly always end up setting the locale to "Antarctica", it turns off
> most the locale logic <g>. There's so many programs that try to be too
> clever.

lol :)