std.locale

Sergey Gromov snake.scaly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 06:49:11 PST 2009

Mon, 02 Mar 2009 09:34:32 +0200, Georg Wrede wrote:

>>> Of course, eventually we will want to "do something" about this. But
>>> that should be left to the day when real issues are all sorted out in
>>> D. This is a non-urgent, low-priority thing.
>
> Had there been any need for locales, believe me, the "foreigners" in
> this NG would have asked for it.

I'm Russian.  For me, encoding problems are a PITA of such epic
proportions that little format inconsistencies simply fade away.  Yes
it's sometimes hard to decipher what 02/03/08 means since our custom is
to put day first and separate with dots.  But compare this to Adobe Flex
SDK which prints half compiler error messages in Russian (thank you
Adobe!) using system default code page, 1251, while default /console/
code page is actually so-called IBM 866.  Whenever I use MXML compiler
from console I get rubbish for error messages.  And there is no way to
disable translation--I've found none.  Phobos is no better.  Any
exception resulting from an invalid OS call dumps UTF-8 garbage instead
of an error message.  std.file.read("non-existent") for instance.

I think games are not an issue.  I've worked for a company producing
cell phone games for a long time.  I've localized my game for Chinese
market, too.  The thing is, game interfaces are always custom, always
ad-hoc.  They *never* work in untested locales.  Well, with some
experience you can make them work most of the time in languages you are
familiar with, from localization perspective.  Anyway, all you need to
know is an ID of a supported locale so that you can replace text and
locale-specific images accordingly.  Then you have correctors and native
testing to make sure the localization works.