const?? When and why? This is ugly!

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Mar 4 02:20:12 PST 2009

Lutger:
> If you have a dynamic language you have a different way of programming. In D
> when I make a typo, the compiler catches it. When I do the same in Ruby, I
> have a unit test that spits out a method missing exception with a trace.
> Suppose D doesn't catch my typo and then my application crashes at runtime
> without such a trace, that will be a nightmare.

This is a complex and long debated topic.
In my D programs I put almost as many unittests as I put in Python programs, because experience shows me the type system of D doesn't catch that many bugs. The result seems strong enough D programs.
While I debug I use the 'Phobos hack' to add something like those traces to D (I don't understand why such feature isn't built-in yet, it's essential when I debug D programs).

Bye,
bearophile