rdmd

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Wed Mar 4 16:11:10 PST 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>> Can I assume the tmp directory will get cleaned in
>> reasonable time by the system on both Windows and Unix?

> But yeah, in so far as I know, you'll have to manually manage the temp
> file cache.

The "original" rdmd saved files in ~/.rdmd and naturally had to manage
the file cache itself.

My solution was to on each run check for old files and delete them. Any
binary not used in six months got nuked. And any other kind of file got
nuked if it had not been looked at in the last half hour.

The latter made debugging and tweaking very easy.

For example, to implement rdmd shebang for files not ending in .d I
copied the original text file into ~/.rdmd with a .d suffix, and
compiled it there. Also a copy of compiler error output was stored there.