Null references (oh no, not again!)

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Fri Mar 6 13:33:20 PST 2009

bearophile wrote:
> Georg Wrede:
>
> Thank you for your interesting notes on such aviation topics.
>
>> Contract Programming can be viewed as checklists on the micro
>> level. When you call a function, it goes through a list of things
>> to check before actually doing its job.
>
> In D such contracts are usually used during training flights only, in
> the real flight such check lists aren't used anymore :-)

Excellent point! That's why we have input validation. :-)

And a good implementation validates /all/ data and other input to the
program. It's like not only closing, but locking every door and window
before you leave home.

Some people should have a checklist for it (I know I do), too. Same with
input validation. Leave one entrypoint unchecked, and that's where the
storm comes in, guaranteed.