Null references (oh no, not again!)

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Fri Mar 6 13:47:24 PST 2009

Walter Bright wrote:

> It's interesting that a lot of my experience at a seemingly unrelated
> discipline at Boeing has found its way into D's language design!

Of course. What does programming language/compiler development, and
aerospace have in common?

You need to make _reliable_ systems and subsystems, and you need to have
an understanding of what people actually do (as opposed to what they say
or promise they do).

That's something where you, Walter, beat academia, institutions,
corporations, and crazy individualists at this game. Hands down.