Null references (oh no, not again!)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 6 14:08:13 PST 2009

"Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote in message
news:gos5lc$cf9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> It's interesting that a lot of my experience at a seemingly unrelated
>> discipline at Boeing has found its way into D's language design!
>
> Of course. What does programming language/compiler development, and
> aerospace have in common?
>
> You need to make _reliable_ systems and subsystems, and you need to have
> an understanding of what people actually do (as opposed to what they say
> or promise they do).
>

> That's something where you, Walter, beat academia, institutions,
> corporations, and crazy individualists at this game. Hands down.

In other words, someone needed to put the "engineering" back into "software
engineering". And who better to do that than an engineer?

A few months ago I wrote up a little thing that was along these lines (fair
warning: dynamic-programming fans might not like parts of it, although it's
not overtly insulting or profane or anything. Also fair warning: I'm not
much of a writer ;) (and more fair warning, if you venture to the other
posts, I do a *lot* of...let's just say "venting" on that site) ):
http://blog.dev-scene.com/abscissa/2008/09/16/putting-the-engineering-back-into-software-engineering/