const?? When and why? This is ugly!

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Fri Mar 6 17:35:26 PST 2009

On Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:56:04 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> I think what Burton is saying is by annointing immutable(char)[] as the
>> type "string," you are essentially sending a message to developers that
>> all strings should be immutable, and all *string parameters* should be
>> declared immutable.

> Phobos is being changed to accept in char[] instead of string
> wherever applicable. As far as what the default "string" ought to be,
> immutable(char)[] is the safest of the three so I think it should be that.

I vaguely remember someone suggesting that "string" be the alias for
immutable character arrays and "text" be the alias for mutable character
arrays. For some people, it might be easier to relate the word "text" as
being something that can be edited in-place.

I'm not advocating or rejecting this ... just trying to recall the original
poster's suggestion.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia