Null references (oh no, not again!)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Mar 7 00:44:30 PST 2009

"Frits van Bommel" <fvbommel at REMwOVExCAPSs.nl> wrote in message
news:got4c1$2dhi$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Georg Wrede" <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote in message
>> news:gosa0h$mdd$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> And now the inevitable $1M question: when can we get D on it????
>>>

>> As soon as we get a fully-working C-backend for one of the D compilers ;)
>
> LLVM has a C backend, so as soon as LDC is mature enough...

Now that I think about it more, it would probably require more than just a
D->C compiler. Storage on the Hydra's microcontroller (ie, Parallax's
Propeller chip) is very tight (512 32-bit words per core (aka "cog"), plus a
few tens of k shared ram that can't be used to store code unless you reserve
some of the non-shared memory to page code in and out). Plus, of course,
there's no streams or filesystem or OS, etc, so because of that and the low
memory large chunks of phobos/tango would probably need to be removed,
possibly including the GC. If there is indeed a C compiler for it, I'm not
sure if or how it handles code paging or other such low-mem concerns.

If anyone's really interested, the forums over there would be a good place
to ask.