Null references (oh no, not again!)

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 05:07:43 PST 2009

Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Christopher Wright escribió:
>> Denis Koroskin wrote:
>>> These are examples of spaghetti code that will be discouraged by
>>> compiler to use. I believe this will lead to code which is easier to
>>> read and maintain.
>>
>> It's not the compiler's place to tell me that my code is unmaintainable.
>
> Yes it is!

Hm. I might not mind optional warnings about that sort of thing, but if
they were mandatory errors, I'd have to remove them from the compiler or
stop using the language.

The compiler isn't smart enough to determine that what I am doing is
safe and necessary, even if it is ugly.

The compiler must produce an executable that faithfully executes any
valid input to the compiler. Style and maintainability don't affect
validity.