Virtual templated functions. Previously: Preserving const? -- A potential solution

Tim M a at b.com
Sun Mar 8 05:16:42 PDT 2009

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 00:58:14 +1300, Michel Fortin
<michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

> If you introduce a way to limit templates to what generics can do in
> Java and C#, you can have virtual template functions. Java and C#
> generics can do only do a subset of what templates can do, but this
> ensure there's only one compiled code instanciation. So perhaps
> non-final non-static member template functions could be constrained to
> generic-like operations and thus could become virtual.
>
> I remembrer myself proposing this a few months ago, but it didn't caught
> on.

I remember you blogging about a way of compiling base classes with new
methods and not needing to recompile the sub classes, I will read up on
those genrics in C# and java later. If that doesn't work out, what if the
compiler could check for all sub class functions within the same module
and allowing a sort of limited virtual template functions, so no work
through external libraries. I would prefer limited virtual over no virtual.