D compiler benchmarks

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Sun Mar 8 09:09:56 PDT 2009

Jason House wrote:
> I don't think it's proper to limit solutions to either Phobos or Tango, or either D1 or D2. Why not include all mixes of standard libraries, compilers, and major D versions?
>
> I've always heard Tango is faster... Let's see proof!
> Similarly, D2 aims to do multithreading better. I'd love to see performance and code differences between D1 and D2.

These benchmarks are designed purely to test the compilers, not the
libraries. I agree that it might be interesting to see benchmarks
between tango and phobos, I might set some up at some point. I know
there are already some benchmarks up for XML performance of
tango/phobos/other xml libraries at http://dotnot.org/, as well as some
tests showing performance of the GC at
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/GCBenchmark. Neither of these
are up to date or test the full extent of the libraries, but do show
some difference in performance. As I stated in my post I chose tango
purely because ldc does not currently support phobos. The choice of
library should not affect performance as all benchmarks use stdc for any
external functions.

I will not be setting up benchmarks for D2 yet, as there is currently
only one D2 compiler and it is in alpha. When there are multiple D2
compilers, I will set up some more benchmarks for them. Similarly when
D2 moves out of alpha I will happily put it against D1 if there is demand.