libpthread linker error

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 8 19:15:49 PDT 2009

Can any Linux guru please help me decipher the following inscrutable error
message encountered when trying to build hello world on a Linux cluster that I
don't have admin privileges to:

dsimcha at canton:~$  dmd/linux/bin/dmd hello.d
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../libpthread.so when searching for
-lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../libpthread.a when searching for
-lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.so when searching for
-lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libpthread.a when searching for
-lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
--- errorlevel 1

The DMD version is 2.026.  An identical error message occurs on D 1.041.  I
know the Linux distro on this cluster is fairly new since the kernel is
2.6.27, but that's about it.  For all I know, a trained monkey could have set
the stupid thing up.  Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting
something like this?