Getting started on a Mac

John Stoneham captnjameskirk at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 8 19:48:27 PDT 2009

Alexy Khrabrov Wrote:
> Well, I can't compile DSSS with dmd and thus can't compile Tango yet -- any way to
> do that yet?  Should I try DSSS binary from a .dmg for gdc, or some binary version of
> Tango?  Ideally, if there's a way to do it for the developers, Tango binaries for dmd would
> come handy!

You don't need DSSS to compile Tango on OS X, just DMD itself. Grab Tango SVN and follow the linux/dmd "manual build and install" instructions here:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/LinuxInstallDmd
Skip the "install-dmd.sh" step and follow the manual steps.

There is an OS X binary of DSSS 0.78 from the DSSS page which works for me. I also built DSSS from source, but then I used gdc to build it I believe. But the binary should work fine.

I found that I had to add -L-ltango-base-dmd to the dmd.conf DFLAGS in order to get DMD to link properly with Tango when compiling something from the command line. This isn't necessary when using DSSS or rebuild. However, I did have to edit the dmd-posix rebuild conf file to take out "-version=Posix" in the compiler flags.