Getting started on a Mac

John Stoneham captnjameskirk at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 10:01:18 PDT 2009

Alexy Khrabrov Wrote:

> OK, so now I have Tango; if I used to have Phobos, what do I now set the include paths
> to -- only Tango?  I've saw the Tangobos project saying it allows for code using either.
> Does it mean I'd be better off with Tangobos?  Then what do I set my include paths to?
> What are the choices people make on which one or both or all three libraries to use,
> and why?  Is it fair to say folks use just Tango and are happy with it and that's where D is
> going?

If you're going to use dmd on the command line, you should probably keep two copies of dmd.conf, one for phobos and one for tango. Using dsss/rebuild is easier once you have dmd-posix (for phobos) and dmd-posix-tango config files set up. Then you just use "dsss -dc=dmd-posix-tango build" or "dsss -dc=dmd-posix build" for tango or phobos as needed. For some more details, look at:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/PhobosTangoCooperation

Tangobos is a port of Phobos to the Tango runtime. It's not something you would use when writing a new project, it's mainly for an intermediate step in porting legacy Phobos-based projects. For your own projects, you can use Tango or Phobos, whichever one you feel more comfortable with. If you're planning on using D2, Tango is not there yet (I think there's an experimental branch for D2, not sure if it "works" yet) so you may have to use Phobos.

Play around with both. If you're coming from a C background (not C++) then you might feel more comfortable with Phobos. If you've used C++/STL/Boost then you might feel more comfortable with Tango.

The projects on dsource that I've been interested in almost all now support both libraries, so if you're default setup is to compile with Tango, they will compile (you may need a "-version=Tango" flag or similar). There are some active projects that only support Tango, but I don't think there are many new/active projects that only support Phobos. I get the feeling that new development is leaning towards Tango, but that's just my feeling.